The Opportunity of a Lifetime
PREP 9 is the nation’s foremost program for academically gifted African-American and Latino students. We place our students in boarding schools, which provide scholarships that fully meet every family’s financial need. We also offer our students life-changing opportunities, great activities, and support from middle school all the way through college. View the video below to gain a greater sense of all that PREP 9 offers its students. PREP 9 charges no tuition for its services.
Criteria for 7th Grade
Applications/Nominations to PREP 9 (our boarding school program) are encouraged for students who meet the following criteria:
- Currently in the seventh grade in a public, charter, or parochial school in New York City or the surrounding metropolitan areas (New Jersey, Westchester, Long Island, and Connecticut);
- Of African American or Latino descent.
And meet one of the additional following criteria:
- A scaled score of 325 or above on the New York State ELA reading exam administered during the 2014-2015 school year;
- An overall average of 90% or above;
- A scaled score of 324 or above on the New York State Math exam administered during the 2014-2015 academic year.
- For any alternate standardized reading or math exam taken in the 2014-2015 academic year (e.g. New Jersey or Connecticut students), students must score within the 90th percentile or above.
The PREP 9 Promise: One Student's Journey
If your child qualifies, please complete the online inquiry form below to start the admissions process. You will be required to provide us with a copy of the applicant’s 2014-2015 reading scores or his or her 2014-2015 report card.
|Guidance Counselors & Teachers|
Because of the efforts of guidance counselors and teachers like you, students have been afforded this opportunity of a lifetime. Thank you!
You are encouraged to nominate students to PREP 9, our boarding school program, who meet the aforementioned criteria.
Our primary concern is that the student demonstrates exceptional academic ability. Please feel free to contact PREP 9 Admissions to discuss any special circumstances, particularly if you feel students should be screened —even though they may not meet our criteria.
Click below for the Admissions Brochure