Development Officer, Corporate & Foundation Relations
Organization Summary: Prep for Prep is an education and leadership development program that creates ethical and effective leaders who reflect our diverse society. Prep identifies New York City’s most promising students of color, prepares them for success at the nation's top independent schools throughout the Northeast, and supports their academic and personal growth through college graduation. Today, over 5,000 students and alumni in the Prep for Prep Community are leaders in every field imaginable.
Position Summary: Prep for Prep seeks a persuasive, inspiring and passionate writer and communicator able to connect with all levels of the organization, from the Board of Trustees to staff to students, to serve as Development Officer, Corporate & Foundation Relations. The successful applicant will have 2-3+ years of prior institutional and/or other fundraising experience for an established nonprofit organization(s). We are seeking a positive, pro-active, detail-oriented, motivated individual, with exceptional writing skills who will accomplish all projects and approach interactions with colleagues, external supporters, and vendors with a great degree of professionalism and enthusiasm.
Responsibilities: As one of five members of the Development team, and reporting to the Associate Vice President for Development, the Development Officer, Corporate & Foundation Relations, will drive fundraising forward with strategic leadership, including, but not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for raising nearly $2 million annually in foundation and corporate support.
- Manage and build upon relationships with existing major foundation, corporate and corporate foundation supporters, and prospective institutional funders.
- Maintain fundraising calendar by preparing renewals, reports, and other key memorandum in a timely and organized manner, including but not limited to formal fundraising proposals, Board meeting documents, and other solicitations.
- Collaborate with Finance to create financial reports and budgets accompanying proposals and reports.
- Work with Vice President for External Affairs, Associate Vice President for Development, and Trustees to develop new and/or improved relationships with current and prospective funders.
- Spearhead and manage all prospecting and researching efforts of potential corporate and foundation funders, as well as related individual donor prospects, as needed.
- Oversee the updating and management of key organizational data and statistics. Research and compile sources of data (such as student demographic statistics) to meet institutional donor needs and Prep’s external affairs objectives.
- Serve as an integral member of the External Affairs team with opportunities to support and provide strategic thought leadership on annual giving, major gifts, events, special project initiatives, as well as print and digital/online communications, including production of the Annual Report, annual cultivation events for key donors and prospects, as well as editorial support on discrete projects.
- Able to work occasional evenings and weekends to staff donor/prospect events.
- Other responsibilities and special projects as assigned.
Skills, Experience, and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Two - three years of experience working with foundations and corporate grant funders, or in a similar fundraising capacity.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Experience with Raisers Edge and other donor management software.
- Functional knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe software such as MS PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Adobe Acrobat X, as well as social media platforms.
- Familiarity with Prep’s mission and/or previous experience working with students of color a plus.
How To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Development Officer, Corporate & Foundation Relations” to firstname.lastname@example.org
Prep for Prep does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or ethnic or national origin and is an equal opportunity employer.