Organization Summary: Prep for Prep is an education and leadership development program that creates ethical and effective leaders who reflect our diverse society. Prep identifies New York City’s most promising students of color, prepares them for success at the nation's top independent schools throughout the Northeast, and supports their academic and personal growth through college graduation. Today, over 5,000 students and alumni in the Prep for Prep Community are leaders in every field imaginable.
The Admissions Officer reports to the Associate Director of Admissions.
- Responds to phone and e-mail inquiries
- Researches and contacts school partners, community-based organizations, and other sources of nominations
- Presents at school fairs, PTA meetings, and District Meetings
- Tracks potential partners and student information in database
- Travel to recruitment areas and share communication responsibilities with team members
- Various responsibilities during First Level Tests and Parent Information Sessions, including:
- Speaking to large audiences
- Proctoring exams
- Working with student volunteers
- Preparing materials for events
- Follow-up with applied students/families to ensure the submission of First, Second, and Final Level documents
- Receiving, scanning, and tracking documents in database
- Meeting deadlines for reading files and rendering decisions on student applications to Prep for Prep and PREP 9
- Identifying potential Achieve PREP 9 candidates
- Field status inquiries from applicant families
- Various responsibilities related to Welcome Receptions and Orientations for Prep for Prep, PREP 9, and Achieve PREP 9, including:
- Planning events and logistics
- Organizing materials
- Collecting documents from newly admitted families
- Communicating event details to families
- Complete log sheets for admitted students
A successful candidate will also possess the following characteristics and experiences:
- Believes in and demonstrates Prep’s core values of Excellence, Integrity, Commitment, and Courage
- Team player, able to share responsibilities and communicate effectively with large team
- Works in a cooperative and professional manner with colleagues
- Participates in All-Staff activates and professional development opportunities as they emerge
- Demonstrates facility with Microsoft Office suite as well as Google Docs applications
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Fluency in Spanish, Mandarin, or Bengali a plus
Work schedule is not a typical 9-5. Admissions Officers should be prepared to adjust to some weekend work days as well as evening events and extended hours when necessary. From October-February, we work Tuesday-Saturday, and from March-September it is Monday-Friday with some exceptions.
All employees must be committed to helping Prep for Prep, and the Admissions office achieve its Mission. The responsibilities listed above should be seen as a general framework; flexibility and professional growth are critical to the accomplishment of the team, and roles should not be seen as fixed. Roles and responsibilities are divided and subject to change at the discretion of supervisors.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter and resume to the Human Resources Manager with the subject line “Admissions Officer” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prep for Prep does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or ethnic or national origin and is an equal opportunity employer.