Part-Time Operations Assistant
Organization Summary: Prep for Prep is an education and leadership development program that creates ethical and effective leaders who reflect our diverse society. Prep identifies New York City’s most promising students of color, prepares them for success at the nation's top independent schools throughout the Northeast, and supports their academic and personal growth through college graduation. Today, over 5,000 students and alumni in the Prep for Prep Community are leaders in every field imaginable
Position Summary: Part-time Operations Assistant member needed to join a team integral to the functions of this busy, non-profit organization. Operations staff work with members of all departments of the organization and must be able to do so in a professional manner. The Part-Time Operations staff report directly to the Director of Operations.
In general the hours of operations for our programs and facilities are Monday – Saturday 8AM-6PM with occasional evening events until 9PM. While not every staff member will work the full schedule, you are expected to be available for at minimum two shifts per week.
Operations staff members gain exposure to different roles throughout the organization. Below is a sampling of the roles our team supports when needed and its responsibilities. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
The organization runs a number of important programs throughout the week that the Operations team members are regularly required to staff.
- Serve as the face of the organizations at different events where greeters and receptionist assistance is needed
- Transport all necessary test, meeting, and class materials to applicable locations in NYC as requested with aid or guidance from the Director of Operations
- Ensure proper and timely setup and breakdown for events
- Oversee arrival of guests for various programs and classes and direct to correct event locations at respective sites.
Operations staff helps support the organization's full-time receptionists by providing coverage during break periods as well as support in their day to day tasks.
- Ensure all opening and building closing procedures are adhered to depending on the time of the shift or building events.
- Courteously and effectively direct phone calls to staff members.
- Ensure guests sign in as appropriate and are directed to the correct location for their events or meetings
- Assist with sorting and distributing mail as well as tracking package deliveries
- Carry out two rounds of interoffice mail runs between two office locations, usually by train (train fare will be provided)
- Assist with various tasks for the organization, including but not limited to: creating staff /parent ID cards, rearranging furniture for event setups or renovations/repairs, lifting boxes or crates of materials for staff, covering reception desks to give full-time receptionists lunch or bathroom breaks, etc. as needed
The Operations team has ability to impact the different departments and their mission on a regular basis. Operations staff will have the opportunity to work closely with other departments in special projects. Below are some examples of similar task the Operations team may help with:
- Preparing gift baskets for special events
- Coordinating mass mailings for the organization
- Implementing new supply tracking procedures
- High School Diploma
- College degree or pursuit of degree
- Previous customer service or events experience
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking skills in every project
- Bi- or multilingual candidates are encouraged to apply
- Previous experience with a high volume of phone calls
- Availability on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays is a plus
HOW TO APPLY
Prep for Prep does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or ethnic or national origin and is an equal opportunity employer.