Professional Advancement Coordinator (High School)
Organization Summary: Prep for Prep is an education and leadership development program that creates ethical and effective leaders who reflect our diverse society. Prep identifies New York City’s most promising students of color, prepares them for success at the nation's top independent schools throughout the Northeast, and supports their academic and personal growth through college graduation. Today, over 5,000 students and alumni in the Prep for Prep Community are leaders in every field imaginable.
Position Summary: The Professional Advancement Coordinator has primary day-to-day responsibility for maintaining and improving Prep for Prep’s High School Summer Internship Program, which serves high school juniors and seniors. The Professional Advancement Coordinator reports to the Director of Professional Advancement and works collaboratively with the Assistant Director of Professional Advancement.
Key responsibilities include:
Manage the execution of the High School Summer Internship Program
- Manage the student recruitment and selection process
- Review, edit and finalize resumes
- Interview high school students to assess their interests for appropriate job placement
- Process internship applications
- Counsel students regarding internship opportunities and oversee the interview process
- Coach students prior and after the interview process and throughout the summer
- Refer students to multiple positions based on skills, experience, and internship availability and monitor placement
- Advocate on behalf of individual applicants
- Negotiate employment terms with employers (wage, hours, project assignments)
- Track placement activities and employer outreach
Event Management and Partnership Collaboration
- Manage the planning, facilitation, and curriculum for workshops on various aspects of job-seeking, i.e., interviewing, resume writing, etc.
- Manage Career Seminar Series logistics incl. event promotion, registration, and attendance
- Maintain ongoing relationships with managers and key leaders in hiring departments to understand the business unit and its recruitment needs. Attend meetings as requested to acquire substantial knowledge about the business objectives, goals, operations, and work culture.
- Manage Special Initiatives as needed, including research programs, promote opportunities in line with students’ interests, provide application feedback and interview preparation, work closely with key organizations (i.e., universities, nonprofit organizations, etc.).
- Work in collaboration with Post-Placement Counseling Department to Identify and recruit student nominees for various professional and leadership development programs, manage the application process, and serve as a point of contact for participating programs. Understand student academics/records that might affect placement.
- Check-in with students during summer internships to discuss progress/address issues
- Collect and analyze performance evaluations
- Work with Director to determine program modifications.
Monitor Payroll Process
- Coordinate payroll for interns paid through Prep liaising with Finance department
- Collaborate with the Finance department to collect accurate student documentation and enroll them to the online payment system
- Maintain updated records of payroll documentation and budget
Essential skills and responsibilities include:
- Minimum of 2-3 years of professional experience. Prior experience working with highly motivated and achieving students.
- Experience working with an internship or other student placement services or recruitment and selection would be an advantage.
- Superior organizational and administrative skills – able to manage multiple priorities, meet demanding deadlines while maintaining attention to detail.
- Proven high-level proficiency in uses of databases, MS Office and GoogleDocs
- Thoughtful and analytical.
- Proactive and solutions-orientated. Able to think creatively to meet program metrics.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – maintain tact and diplomacy even when under pressure.
- Some evening and weekend responsibilities.
- An excellent team player. Collaborates and works well with others.
- Committed to Prep for Prep’s mission.
Prep for Prep expects all employees to demonstrate the values of Excellence, Integrity, Commitment, Courage, and Community.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Professional Advancement Coordinator (High School)” to firstname.lastname@example.org
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
Prep for Prep does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or ethnic or national origin and is an equal opportunity employer.