Dean of Students for the Prep for Prep Preparatory Component
Organization Summary: Prep for Prep is an education and leadership development
program that creates ethical and effective leaders who reflect our diverse society for the benefit of all. Prep identifies New York City’s most promising students of color, prepares them for success at the nation’s top independent schools throughout the Northeast, and supports their academic and personal growth through college graduation. Today, over 5,000 students and alumni in the Prep for Prep Community are leaders in every field imaginable.
The Opportunity: The Dean of Students will work with the Preparatory Components of the Prep for Prep (5th-6th grade) and PREP 9 (7th-8th grade) programs.
The Dean of Students for the Prep for Prep Preparatory Component reports to the Assistant Director of the Prep Preparatory Component.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in monitoring and assessing the academic and social progress of students.
- Supervise Prep's general behavior and demeanor for Prep and PREP 9 students. Enforce rules, regulations, and academic policies.
- Work with students and parents in response to disciplinary issues, keeping records of these matters and sending out letters regarding these issues.
- Organize and attend events and social activities for PREP 9 students. Supervise students at all such events, including parties, trips, performances, and community-building activities.
- Assist the Directors in conducting parent meetings.
- Organize the process and oversee the preparation of financial aid forms by families.
- Coordinate tutoring and study halls during both the summer and school year sessions.
- Maintain communication and good relationships with admissions representatives.
Skills, Experience, and Competencies:
- Strong academic credentials, including a BA from a competitive college.
- Teaching experience plus a minimum of three years of administrative experience.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, strong written, and communication skills.
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaking ability is a plus.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to issues relating to Prep’s student population.
- Able to work Monday-Friday during the summer; Tuesday-Saturday during the school year.
- Able to accompany students to a two-week Immersion in Residence boarding school stay during the summer.
- Driver's License (preferred).
Compensation: The salary range is $75,000 - $85,000.
Prep for Prep is an equal-opportunity employer.