Dean of the PREP 9 Preparatory Component
Organization Summary: Prep for Prep is an education and leadership development program that creates ethical and effective leaders who reflect our diverse society. Prep identifies New York City’s most promising students of color, prepares them for success at the nation's top independent schools throughout the Northeast, and supports their academic and personal growth through college graduation. Today, over 5,000 students and alumni in the Prep for Prep Community are leaders in every field imaginable.
The Dean of the PREP 9 Preparatory Component reports to the Director of the PREP 9 Preparatory Component.
Duties and Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
- Assist the Director in monitoring and assessing students' academic and social progress.
- Monitor and supervise students’ behavior, enforce rules, and advise on disciplinary procedures.
- Track and follow up on student attendance.
- Collaborate regularly with the Director and Preparatory Component Guidance Counselors.
- Communicate all disciplinary matters with students.
- Supervise students and advisors at parties, commencement trips, performances, and community-building activities.
- Supervise students as they gather in the morning, at lunch, designated areas, and during recess and other recreational times.
- Establish and monitor procedures for the use of the nurse.
- Assist the Director and PREP 9 Director in conducting parent meetings.
- Assist the Director of the PREP 9 Preparatory Component with the Placement Process, including writing student recommendations and assuring the review and timely submission of all application materials.
- Participate in the boarding school placement process, including attending presentations, visits, meeting with parents and students regarding school selections and applications, and evaluating students as part of the PREP 9 boarding school application process.
- In conjunction with the Director, conduct conferences with parents to discuss students' status, dismissals, etc.
- Organize and oversee the financial aid process, including conducting meetings and aiding in preparing and completing forms for the families of the PREP 9 Preparatory Component.
- Coordinate and oversee tutoring, study hall, and detention, as necessary.
- Assist in supervising the PREP 9 Summer Advisory System.
- Maintain communication and good relationships with admissions representatives at the PREP 9 consortium schools.
- Interview candidates for admission according to the needs of the admission office.
- Strong academic credentials, including a BA from a competitive college.
- Teaching experience plus a minimum of three years of administrative experience.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, strong written, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to issues relating to Prep’s student population.
- Able to work Monday-Friday during the summer; Tuesday-Saturday during the school year.
- Able to accompany students to a two-week Immersion in Residence boarding school stay during the summer.
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaking ability is a plus.
- Driver's License (preferred).
Compensation: The salary range is $72,000 - $78,000.
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Dean of the PREP 9 Preparatory Component” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prep for Prep does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or ethnic or national origin and is an equal-opportunity employer.